Potassium is a very important mineral necessary for the living cells of the body, as it retains moisture, improves the health of the body’s muscles, maintains blood pressure at an optimal level and thus protects against heart attacks, and we find it in lots of fruits, vegetables and other foods, and we are here to give you a list of the 10 best potassium foods, which you can include in your diet for better health.
The importance of potassium mineral
Before we get to the heart of our topic, let’s take a moment to review the health benefits of this important mineral, and we’ve found them to be summarized as follows:
- It reduces high pressure levels, which protects you from various heart diseases that end in the death of the individual.
- sodium removal; Eating foods rich in potassium results in the removal of excess sodium from the body, which lowers blood pressure as sodium is the cause of high blood pressure in the body.
- Protection against osteoporosis caused by a lack of calcium in the body; As scientific studies indicate that eating foods rich in potassium plays a role in preventing osteoporosis as it reduces the rate of calcium excretion with the urine.
- protects the individual from stroke; We find that with a lack of blood supply to the brain, the individual suffers from what is called a stroke, and scientific studies have shown that consuming potassium in adequate daily amounts protects the body from exposure to heart disease and stroke.
- Reducing the risk of kidney stones; Since they are substances that agglomerate and form when the urine is concentrated, and we find that calcium is one of the minerals that cause kidney stones, and since potassium reduces the percentage of it in the kidneys, it protects you from the risks of kidney stones .
- Potassium mineral treats fluid retention in the body; This is due to increased diuresis and decreased sodium in the body.
Foods with potassium
You may think we made a mistake and that dairy is an important source of calcium, but it is also an important and necessary source of the mineral potassium.
Read also:The 10 best types of lactose-free milk in Egypt
Since your intake of one cup of milk, be it skimmed or skim milk, provides your body with an amount of potassium mineral, which amounts to 350 to 380 mg.
And if you eat plain yogurt, you’ll get about 500mg of potassium, in addition to the healthy probiotic and protein content.
We find that tomatoes and all their products and derivatives are among the top 10 potassium foods.
Specifically, every 100 grams of tomato sauce contains about 439 mg of potassium, and a cup of tomato juice contains more than 556 mg of potassium.
In addition to the many benefits of tomatoes, as they contain tomatine, which works to lower blood cholesterol levels, and the resulting protection of you against heart disease and atherosclerosis.
Yogurt, as a dairy product, is an important source of potassium, so we talk about it separately, and we are not exaggerating when we say that the more of it consumed, the lower the individual risk of developing cardiovascular disease in both sexes and in women suffering from high blood pressure.
Read also:Top 10 Foods For Indigestion
A scientific study has been published in the American Journal of Hypertension to prove what we have mentioned.
Another study conducted by the American Heart Association reported that people who eat yogurt are less likely than others to develop high blood pressure.
We find that every 100 g of yogurt contains about 141 mg of potassium.
This wonderful fruit called avocado provides many nutrients needed by the body, and it is also one of the top 10 foods with potassium.
Since the potassium content of every 100 g of avocado fruit is 485 mg, it is also an important source of monounsaturated fats.
These fats promote heart health and are rich in each of the following:
- folic acid
- Dietary fiber.
- Vitamin K, B6, B5 and E.
A delicious fruit that God has given us to help us heal from many diseases and to improve the general health of the body, thanks to the important elements it contains, summarized in the following:
Read also:Top 10 fruits that suppress appetite
- Vitamin C.
- vitamin K
- Dietary fiber.
- folic acid.
So, you should make sure to eat it daily as it promotes the general health of the body and keeps the blood pressure stable.
You can eat it as a delicious juice or add it to yogurt or oatmeal, and we find that the potassium content of 100 grams of pomegranate is about 236 mg.
Spinach may not be popular with many, but that doesn’t change the fact that these vegetables are important and contain high amounts of nutrients, including the following:
- Good amounts of potassium.
- folic acid.
- Vitamin K.
- Vitamin A.
- vitamin C.
When spinach is cooked, the potassium content increases and it becomes concentrated, in other words, you can eat it raw or cooked or add it to the salad.
We find that every 100 grams of spinach contains approximately 558 mg of potassium.
We can include salmon in the list of the top 10 foods that contain potassium and among several other lists, because of the nutrients it contains which are as follows:
- Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Many minerals and vitamins.
This means you can eat a healthy diet that includes salmon or other oily fish to reduce your risk of heart disease and high blood pressure.
And the good thing is that you can consume it in more than one way, such as by spreading it or cooking it in the oven.
And about the potassium content of salmon, it is about 363 mg of potassium per 100 g of salmon.
3- Papaya fruits
Patients with high blood pressure eat papaya fruits because they help them lower their high blood pressure, and we are here to confirm that they contain potassium.
Even this fruit is rich in potassium, for example, every 100 g contains 182 mg of potassium.
Therefore, we must be careful to eat it, whether alone or by adding it to the salad, and if possible we must make a drink of it.
It is necessary to spend some time getting to know bananas, one of the top 10 foods that contain potassium, and to mention some of its health benefits, which are summarized as follows:
- Helps stabilize blood pressure.
- Promotes intestinal health.
- Works to control blood sugar levels.
And all this thanks to the fact that it contains potassium and some other nutrients, which are as follows:
- Dietary fiber.
- vitamin C.
- Vitamin B6.
Therefore, add it to juices, as it contains about 358 mg of potassium per 100 g of banana.
1- Dried apricots
Dried fruits always top the list of credits and dried apricots top the list of the top 10 foods that contain potassium. Speaking of potassium, we mention that a handful of dried apricots, equivalent to 100 g of them, contains about 1162 mg of potassium.
In addition, it contains antioxidants in huge amounts, which protects you against diseases such as diabetes.
And some cancers in addition to cardiovascular disease, and most importantly, it promotes bone health and protects against osteoporosis.
Top 10 drinks rich in potassium